Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Comfort Food

I'll be honest, I have never been the most healthiest eater, I love sweets and don't have a lot of time to fix a home cooked meal every night, especially during the work week. Sometimes Taylor will just eat a Lunchable and I will have some cheese toast or Bagel Bites. But sometimes I will cook! This weekend I cooked up some yummy Southern comfort food. It was fun, easy and not too expensive. Here are my ingredients:
I cooked some black eyed peas and rice, cornbread and creamed corn. We also picked up some Publix fried chicken, talk about YUMMY!
You know when the cornbread calls for buttermilk and shortening, its going to be good!
All my recipes came off Christy Jordan's Southernplate.com website, can she cook! And she does it with affordable items, check out her site if you get a chance, she is a great story teller!!
 
Ingredients for Dixie Cornbread
  • 1-1/2 cups enriched white cornmeal
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of bacon drippin’s or melted real butter
  • 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, add a tablespoon of shortening and preheat.
  3. Sift together dry ingredients; add buttermilk, egg, and drippings, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
  4. Pour into the greased, hot skillet. Bake in preheated hot oven at 450 for 20-25 minutes.
  5. Serve warm with butter 
    I could not find my black iron skillet so I used a cake pan and it came out great!
    Next up was some cream corn!
     
    Easiest Ever Creamed Corn
     

    Ingredients
    • 32 ounces frozen whole kernel corn (2-16 ounce packages)
    • 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
    • 1 cup Whipping cream
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • salt and pepper to taste
    Instructions 
    1. Place butter in large skillet over medium heat to melt.
    2. Add frozen corn.
    3. Stir and continue cooking over medium heat for a few minutes, until mostly thawed.
    4. Add in whipping cream and sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent cream from scorching, for ten to fifteen minutes, until corn is cooked through and sauce is thick                           
Just like the name, this creamed corn was super easy and very good!!
White cooking the corn, I grabbed a bag of white minute rice, boiled it in 2 cups of chicken stock, once it was ready I put it on the stove top with 2 cans of black eyed peas and a small onion. I seasoned it with salt,pepper and some garlic powder.
To make the meal even more comforting I pulled out my Grandmother's beautiful casserole dishes. I remember her serving food from these all the time and they are so pretty!!
Pull up a chair cause lunch is served!! It was really good and we had plenty for left overs. The simple joy of good food :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment