Monday, April 13, 2020

The Two Month Mark

I found myself thinking this week as we approach the 13th what I wanted to share about my Piggy G. Just like last month I think my brain works like a bullet list, I will seem to have different things pop up and I write them down. As I am looking at a list of my random thoughts I wrote down, I remind myself what I want this blog to be for my girls. I hope it will become a happy source of memories about their Daddy and a dose of what real life looks like for us. I also hope to give everyone a little look inside some great memories from our life!
I know everyone reading this right now can totally agree, all our lives have looked a little different these past weeks!
So far 2020 has been nothing like I have experienced before but we are doing pretty well.
The girls have remained upbeat and become a little more independent. They know when Mommy is working I can't jump up at that moment and get what they need. But a lot of times they discover they can actually do it themselves & I think that is a great lesson!
So many times people compare grief to waves and I am finding that is pretty accurate. This last week for example was one for the emotional records!! One day I was on cloud 9 with thanksgiving when I found out a something that had been giving me deep worry would be okay, my girls would be okay.
The next day I had a wonderful Facetime spaghetti dinner with my family, no less then 5 minutes after it was over  I was in tears of anger. That is what grief can look like. But every time it hits there is a choice to keep going. Just keep swimming. Going through this so far I have learned to be more aware of the things I let in my mind from the music I listen to and the movies we watch. The other night the girls asked to watch the new Disney movie Onward, a few minutes into it I learned it was about 2 kids whose father died when they were young and they were trying to find out more about him, I should have known better with a Disney movie what the fate of the parents would be!! I realized I need to be a little more aware of those kind of triggers.
I have always loved music, like so many it can make me feel so much and take me back to great moments. There is a Toby Mac song called 21 Years, I am sure you have heard it, its a song he wrote last fall when his son passed away.
"Did he see You from a long way off
Running to him with a Father's heart
Did you wrap him up inside Your arms
And let him know, that he's home"
When he is singing this I can picture Ronnie in God's arms.
A part toward the end of the song you can almost hear Toby singing/yelling/wailing.
I get it, its the sound of all the emotions. Sometimes if I am in the car by myself, I will do the same thing.
A few things about Ronnie a lot of people may not know:
-Did you know I called him Pickles?! Pickles Portmann. My Dad & Uncle David called him Rontavious. Sometimes my family called him Don....those were memories!
-When I dream of him he doesn't have a beard. Some dreams have been nightmares, those stink. But some dreams have been so intimate and real. Whenever I would kiss Ronnie often I would have both hands on his face and rub his beard. I miss the beard.
-Ron created his own YouTube Channel to help his students with math, its still there is you ever have a math question! He would film it in our garage.
-Ronnie was a bit more affectionate then me, he was a hand holder in the car and wanting to sit right next to me on the couch all the time. I tend to me a little more stand offish. PDA's give me anxiety and he loved them, go figure! Ronnie expressed his love with letters and cards:
This is just a small example of the pages of letters and cards he would write me. I have years worth. From anniversaries to rehab to apologies, he would pour his heart onto paper. As you can imagine, I cherish these. And he didn't stop at paper, he would cover our bathroom mirror with his feelings:

These are all still up. Ron also made it a point to tell me somehow what his heart was feeling. He always wanted me to know no matter what, how much he loved me.
-In college Ronnie was a vegetarian. That didn't last long!! He loved grilling and BBQ like his Dad. All our family each have t-shirts that say Porty's Pulled Pork!
One of the best memories is the day Taylor was born. Here is the day on how I remember it!
Taylor was due October 5, 2012, she was our rainbow baby. We had started trying in June of 2011. Ron and I were living in a one bedroom apartment and he was student teaching. I came home from work one day the there was a note next to my birth control pills, the container was empty and the note said I love you forever, lets do it! I found out I was pregnant that August but unfortunately I lost the baby. My heart was shattered. I know his was too. Come January we found out my thyroid was low and so I started medication for that and 2 weeks later around 5 AM I got a positive test result. Talk about over the moon!!
Ron was sleeping and I ran into our bedroom with the pregnancy test, we were so excited. A few months later we found out we were expecting a girl. We rode to Babies R Us that day and bought a handful of girl cloths and sat out on the patio that night just smiling talking about baby girl names. Ronnie always liked Natalie which I do too but.....Natalie Portmann, get it?! I was not too crazy about that! Fast forward to September 28th, we were getting close and I was having weekly doctor appointments, I was absolutely huge. And hot. Third trimester in the GA heat is no joke!
The 28th was a Friday and my appointment was at 10 AM I think, Ronnie was working and said "Only call me if we are having a baby!" that morning on his way to work. Turns out, I called him. During my exam Dr. Jo thought something may be wrong with Taylor's heart. You want to talk about a parent's heart almost stopping. I remember thinking to myself, I am not losing this baby. I have made it this long. She went ahead and sent me to Northside.
When we arrived we had lots of heart tests to do and a c-section was scheduled.
I remember laying there before the surgery and I looked at Ron and said "I am going to barf!" He held a bucket up to my mouth. Pure romance :-)
Right by my side Ronnie would stand up and down, blood didn't bother him so he kept looking. He said "Her hand is out!" At 7:10 PM our sweet Taylor Sara was born and she was screaming! While they were putting my guts back together he was over there telling me everything they were doing. I got to give her a kiss on the head before they took her for many heart tests. She ended up being totally ok, a perfect baby.
Having a kid with someone is something that will forever bond two people always. Ronnie gave me the best part of him (twice, I will do Nicole's story one day too).
The girls are one of the biggest source of my strength these days. I often say they save me from myself. They are loved deeply by so many family, friends and teachers. I know so many people are praying for the 3 of us, I feel it and remain so grateful.
Ronnie answered a prayer of mine, helping to make me Mother.
Love,
Lindsey






2 comments:

  1. That was so sweet Lindsey!! One day your girls will be so happy that you wrote down all this for them!! You are an amazing young woman and your faith is strong, so you are going to be okay!! Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jackie for your sweet comment, I hope the girls enjoy this as they grow! It makes me happy to share some fun memories, love you!! Lindsey

    ReplyDelete